According to CPS policy, students entering 6th grade must have a new physical health examination and updated immunizations for Tdap and Meningitis (as of age 11). All 5th grade students must submit a copy of their updated physical and immunization record to the main office prior to receiving their sixth grade room assignment. Updated records can be submitted to the main office, Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 2:00pm.
Dear Mark Twain School Community,
Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is committed to keeping families and staff informed of the most current developments. A person who was in our school building on 9/14/2021 tested positive for COVID-19. We are sending this notification for your awareness, and you do not need to take any further action at this time. If you have been identified as a close contact, you should have received a separate notification from the Office of Student Health and Wellness with quarantine instructions.
As a reminder, we can slow the spread of COVID-19 as a CPS community by getting vaccinated, social distancing whenever possible, wearing masks in public, washing our hands thoroughly, and avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
For district updates and resources, visit www.cps.edu. If you need help locating medical care or have any CPS-specific questions, please reach out to the Healthy CPS 773-553-KIDS (5437), which is staffed 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
I am here to support you as we move forward together as one healthy, supportive, and engaged school family.
Estimado comunidad de la Escuela Mark Twain,
Las Escuelas Públicas de Chicago (CPS) se comprometen a mantener a las familias y al personal informados sobre las novedades más recientes. Una persona, que se encontraba en nuestro edificio escolar el 9/14/2021, dio positivo por COVID-19. La presente notificación es para avisarle sobre ello. Usted no necesita tomar ninguna otra medida en este momento. Si usted ha sido identificado como un contacto cercano, debió haber recibido de la Oficina de Salud y Bienestar Estudiantil una notificación con instrucciones de cómo hacer una cuarentena.
Como recordatorio, podemos frenar la propagación del COVID-19 como comunidad de CPS vacunándonos, manteniéndonos el distanciamiento social siempre que sea posible, usando mascarillas en público, lavándonos bien las manos y evitando el contacto cercano con personas enfermas.
Para actualizaciones y recursos del distrito, visite www.cps.edu. Si necesita ayuda para encontrar atención médica o si tiene alguna pregunta específica sobre CPS, por favor comuníquese con Healthy CPS al 773-553-KIDS (5437), de 8 a.m. a 5 p.m. de lunes a viernes.
Estoy aquí para brindarle apoyo mientras avanzamos juntos como una familia escolar saludable, acogedora y comprometida.
Believe and You Will Succeed!
The Mark Twain School Library is filled with an abundance of resources for all ages. There are thousands of books, magazines and videos available for student and staff use. There are also 35 computers for the students to utilize for research and assignment completion.
The goals of the library are to: *Cultivate a love of reading and encourage students to become lifelong learners *Provide a broad range of quality resources to support both recreational reading and curriculum *Teach students to become ethical and effective users of both print and electronic resources.
The school’s library catalog can be accessed at home by going to https://library.cps.edu. There are numerous Ebooks and databases for research and recreational reading that students can access from their home computer.
Grades 1 and 2 will focus on the following book themes this month: Responsibility (our character trait for the month), Fall, and Halloween. We will use these books to learn about fiction/nonfiction and story elements.
Grades 3 and 4 will use their knowledge of our library website and the library organization and have a “book hunt” to independently find books on the shelves. We will celebrate Halloween at the end of the month with spooky stories and activities.
Grades 5-6 will be using their knowledge of Google drawings from last month, to create a Google drawing poster for the school that will go on display. They will then learn about different authors and series by participating in book talks and a book tasting.
Grades 7-8 will dive into research by exploring the cause of the Salem Witch Trials. Students will participate in a scavenger hunt in which they will analyze data and artifacts from the events of the time.
Be sure to read throughout the school year! Readers are Leaders!!!! This year as part of the Library rules, we are asking the students to Be their BEST!
- Be Honest
- Exhibit a Positive Attitude
- Show Respect
- Take Responsibility
Librarians, Mrs. C. Hart Mrs. M. Wojciechowski
The goal of the Mark Twain’s Reading Committee is to keep our students Reading! Reading! Reading! The activities planned throughout the school year, 2019-2020, are reminders to keep motivated with reading.
Remember, students become better readers by reading! So, put down those electronic devices and open up a book!
*Fall into Reading: PreK -5th grade, September to November 1st 2019
*Pizza Hut: K-6th grade, October 2019 to March 2020
*Great America Reading Challenge: K-6th grade, January to March 2020
*Chipotle Reading Challenge: K-8th grades, Spring
*Battle of the Books: 4-6th grade and 7-8th gradetime TBD
Your teachers will provide you with the current information regarding these Reading Campaigns as the school year continues.
- A Pocket For Corduroy
- Clifford, We Love You
- Goldilocks and The Three Bears
- Where Love Starts
- Love Bugs
- The Hat
- Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice
- The Biggest, Best Snowman
- The Mitten
- Frosty the Snowman
- The Silly Snowy Day
- The Snowy Day
- Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear
- The Snowman
- 5 More Sleeps 'til Christmas
- The Polar Express
- Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
- Gingerbread Baby
- Share Some Kindness Bring Some Light
- The Night Before Christmas
- Dream Snow
- Jingle Bugs
- The Gingerbread Man
- The Gift of Christmas
- The Sweet Smell of Christmas
- Pete the Cat The First Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Day
- Franklin’s Thanksgiving
- The Seven Silly Eaters
- A Little Bit of Winter
- The Birthday Presents
- Clifford’s Thanksgiving Visit
- Over the River and Through the Woods
- Thanksgiving is for Giving Thanks
- Time to Sleep
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
- Where the Wild Things Are
- The Berenstain Bears and Ghost of The Forest
- In The Haunted House
- Halloween Bugs
- There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly
- Spooky Hour
- Franklin’s Halloween
- Pete the Cat Five Little Pumpkins
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
- Skeleton Hiccups
- Ten Timid Ghosts
- Silly Ghosts
- Pete the Cat Five Little Pumpkins
- Big Pumpkin
- The Spooky Old Tree
- Moon Dance
- Happy Birthday Moon
- Bear Shadow
- The Day You Begin
- The Kissing Hand
- Pete the Cat
- Pete the Cat Five Little Ducks
- Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes
- Pete the Cat Big Easter Adventure
- Pete the Cat Too Cool For School
- Pete the Cat Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
- Pete the Cat Old MacDonald Had a Farm
- Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
- Pete the Cat Rocking in My School Shoes
- Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?
- The Runaway Bunny
- The Little Red Hen
- Pocket Full of Kisses
- A Very Clumsy Click Beetle
- A Very Lonely Firefly
- The Very Busy Spider
- The House for Hermit Crab
- Papa Please Get the Moon For Me
- B is for Breathe
- Wemberly Worried
- What Will I Do If I Can't Tie My Shoe?
- Grover Goes to School
- Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- White Rabbit's Color Book
- The Golden Egg Book
- The Carrot Seed
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Fancy Nancy
- Tops and Bottoms
- Kindergarten Fall Parent Talk
English / Spanish
- Kindergarten ABC’s Letters and Sounds
- Incoming Kindergarten Parent Talk Handout.
- Incoming Kindergarten Parent Talk
- Incoming Kindergarten English/Polish Parent Talk
- 1st Grade Fall Parent Talk English/Polish | Handout Eng
- 1st Grade Fall Parent Talk English/Spanish | Handout Spa
- Incoming 1st grade Parent Talk Handout
- Incoming 1st Grade Parent Talk Eng & Esp
2/18/21: Congratulations to Mr. Bennett, Twain's Media Arts teacher, and his students, Emilia, Joanna, and Nina, who were recently recognized in The Department of Arts Newsletter in celebration of their excellent work!
We are so proud of them.